quinta-feira, 30 de janeiro de 2025

Merkel criticizes German front-runner Merz over migration vote with far-right support

 

BERLIN (AP) — Former German Chancellor Angela Merkel on Thursday issued rare public criticism of her successor as the country’s center-right leader, the front-runner in Germany’s election next month, for putting to parliament proposals for tough new migration rules that only passed with the help of a far-right party.

Germany’s center-left governing parties have cast doubt on whether conservative leader Friedrich Merz can still be trusted not to bring the far-right Alternative for Germany, or AfD, into government after Wednesday’s events. He insists that he didn’t and won’t work with it, and that he didn’t break a political consensus, often called a “firewall,” to shun the party. But Chancellor Olaf Scholz said Merz made “an inexcusable mistake.”

Merz, determined to show his center-right Union bloc’s commitment to cutting irregular migration after a deadly knife attack last week by a rejected asylum-seeker, put a nonbinding motion to parliament calling for Germany to turn back many more migrants at its borders, although it might need AfD’s backing to pass. The measure squeaked through thanks to the far-right party’s support.
Advertisement

Polls show Merz’s Union leading ahead of the Feb. 23 election with around 30% support, while AfD is second with about 20%, and Scholz’s center-left Social Democrats and their remaining coalition partners, the Greens, are further back.

Merkel, a former leader of Merz’s Christian Democratic Union, noted in a rare statement that Merz had said in November that no measures should be passed with AfD’s support before the Feb. 23 election.

She said she supported that position but “I think it was wrong no longer to feel committed to this proposal and, on Jan. 29, to enable with open eyes for the first time a majority with votes from AfD in a vote in the German parliament.”

Merkel added that “all democratic parties” must work together — “not as a tactical maneuver,” and while respecting European Union law — to do everything to prevent attacks such as last week’s and others in recent months in which the suspects were immigrants.
Advertisement

Merz took over the CDU after Merkel, a former rival, stepped down as chancellor in 2021. A more conservative figure, he has taken a more restrictive stance on migration. He said last week that Germany has had a “misguided asylum and immigration policy” for a decade — since Merkel allowed large numbers of migrants into the country.

Merkel has largely kept a low profile since leaving office, doesn’t usually comment on day-to-day politics and is no longer actively influential in her party. However, her intervention could be problematic for Merz.

Merz appears to hope that he will gain support by making the Union look decisive in forcing a tougher approach to migration, blunting the appeal of the anti-immigration AfD, while making center-left Scholz and the Greens look weak. It’s uncertain whether that will succeed.

AfD lawmakers celebrated after Wednesday’s vote while others sat stony-faced. Merz said he had sought a majority in the “democratic center” and he regretted that didn’t happen. But he also insisted that “a correct decision doesn’t become wrong because the wrong people approve it.”

(Continue)
 By  GEIR MOULSON
Updated 11:57 AM WET, January 30, 2025

Mães despedidas do BE? MP abre inquérito por "falsificação de documentos"

 

O procurador-geral da República, Amadeu Guerra, referiu esta quinta-feira haver indícios de "falsificação de documentos à Segurança Social".

O Ministério Público abriu um inquérito ao caso das funcionárias do Bloco de Esquerda (BE) despedidas pouco tempo após serem mães. A notícia foi avançada pelo Observador e confirmada pelo Notícias ao Minuto junto da Procuradoria-Geral da República (PGR).


"Confirma-se a instauração de inquérito, o qual corre nos termos do DIAP [Departamento de Investigação e Ação Penal] de Lisboa", indicou a PGR ao Notícias ao Minuto.

Questionado pela agência Lusa, o Bloco adiantou que ainda "não foi contactado pelo Ministério Público e, sendo, prestará todos os esclarecimentos".

O procurador-geral da República, Amadeu Guerra, referiu esta quinta-feira haver indícios de "falsificação de documentos à Segurança Social", esclarecendo, porém, que "isso não significa que se venha a provar".
BE? Serão investigados indícios de "falsificação de documentos", diz PGR

O procurador-geral da República, Amadeu Guerra, referiu hoje haver indícios de "falsificação de documentos à segurança social", em investigação pelo Ministério Público (MP), no caso dos alegados despedimentos no Bloco de Esquerda (BE).

O caso foi tornado público na semana passada pela revista Sábado, que referia alegados despedimentos de cinco trabalhadoras do partido que tinham sido mães há pouco tempo, duas das quais ainda a amamentar, entre os anos de 2022 e 2024.

O Bloco de Esquerda terá contornado a consulta à Comissão para a Igualdade no Trabalho e no Emprego (CITE). De acordo com o Observador, no caso das trabalhadoras que ainda amamentavam, os contratos sem termo foram extintos e substituídos por contratos a termo certo. No entanto, estes contratos, com duração de oito meses, eram fictícios e serviam para um "aparente substituto para uma indemnização".

As trabalhadoras foram despedidas no final dos contratos fictícios e receberam uma indemnização baseada no valor do último contrato.

Após a publicação da revista da Sábado, o BE anunciou que apresentou uma queixa à Entidade Reguladora para a Comunicação Social (ERC) sobre a notícia.

"O texto da revista Sábado sobre alegados despedimentos no Bloco de Esquerda é um ataque político que dispensou o jornalismo e a verificação de factos", acusou o partido.
Bloco despediu 5 mães em 2 anos? Partido faz queixa.

O Bloco de Esquerda (BE) apresentou hoje uma queixa à Entidade Reguladora para a Comunicação Social (ERC) sobre uma notícia que dá conta de alegados despedimentos de trabalhadoras do partido quando ainda amamentavam os seus filhos, classificando-a de "ataque político".

De acordo com os bloquistas, a notícia "cita cinco 'despedimentos', um dos quais o de uma pessoa que - a própria notícia o reconhece - trabalha no Bloco de Esquerda até hoje".

O partido reconhece que face aos resultados das eleições legislativas de janeiro de 2022 - nas quais passou de 19 parlamentares para cinco - "perdeu metade da subvenção mensal que recebia, reduziu a cerca de metade a sua rede de sedes e a sua estrutura profissional, em aproximadamente 30 pessoas".

Posteriormente, numa carta enviada aos militantes do partido, a coordenadora bloquista, Mariana Mortágua, admitiu que foram cometidos "erros" nos despedimentos.

"Num processo penoso como aquele que vivemos em 2022, ao termos que terminar vínculos profissionais com metade das pessoas que empregávamos, nem tudo foi isento de falhas e o Bloco reconhece-o. Cometemos erros que lamentamos e que hoje teríamos evitado", lia-se na missiva.

Mariana Mortágua insistiu no desmentido da notícia, sublinhando que "das cinco referências publicadas, duas são relativas a despedimentos que o Bloco não fez (o Parlamento Europeu terminou esses vínculos automaticamente no final dos mandatos dos eurodeputados, em 2024) e uma terceira é ao caso de uma assessora que continua a trabalhar no grupo parlamentar".

Former senior political advisor of Barak Obama sentenced for 11 years because of child attempted rape


 

quarta-feira, 29 de janeiro de 2025

Trump Medicaid freeze seems to lock 72 million Americans out of their health insurance

 

Lawmakers across the country have confirmed that that their state’s Medicaid payment systems have been shut off. President Donald Trump’s move to freeze federal funding for a massive number of government programs seems to have impacted Medicaid payment systems across the country, potentially locking 72 million Americans out of their health insurance.
Suggested Reading

Several lawmakers took to social media on Tuesday afternoon to confirm that that their state’s Medicaid payment systems have been shut off. Medicaid's continuous enrollment ends today. Up to 14 million Americans could lose their coverage. spitals have to follow these new transparent-pricing rules

“Can confirm. Connecticut’s Medicaid payment system has been turned off. Doctors and hospitals cannot get paid,” wrote Sen. Chris Murphy of Connecticut in a post on the social media site X. “Discussions ongoing about whether services can continue.”

Oregon Sen. Ron Wyden said on X that his staff has confirmed that Medicaid portals in all 50 states are down due to the Trump administration’s federal funding freeze. The U.S. Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) did not immediately respond to request for comment from Quartz.

“The White House is aware of the Medicaid website portal outage. We have confirmed no payments have been affected — they are still being processed and sent,” White House spokesperson Karoline Leavitt wrote in a post on X on Tuesday. Leavitt added, that the White House expects that the “portal will be back online shortly.”

Trump’s acting director of the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) Mathew J. Vaeth sent a memo on Monday to federal department heads ordering them to stop all financial assistance — including loans and grants — to government programs until agencies can review them to ensure they align with Trump’s recently issued executive orders that target “DEI, woke gender ideology and the Green New Deal.”

“This temporary pause will provide the Administration time to review agency programs and determine the best uses of the funding for those programs consistent with the law and the President’s priorities,” the memo said.

The pause is supposed to go into effect today 5 p.m. ET and makes exceptions for Medicare, Social Security benefits; and grants and loans allocated for individuals. Agencies have until Feb. 10 to submit details on their spending to the OMB.
(Continue)

“As fronteiras da UE não são negociáveis”. França admite mandar tropas para a Gronelândia

 


 França admite enviar tropas para a Gronelândia se a Dinamarca o pedir porque “as fronteiras da União Europeia (UE) não são negociáveis”, afirmou esta terça-feira o ministro dos Negócios Estrangeiros francês, Jean-Noël Barrot. “Começámos a falar sobre o assunto com a Dinamarca, que está disposta a pensar no assunto se os nossos interesses de segurança estiverem em causa”, afirmou Jean-Noël Barrot em entrevista à estação de rádio francesa Sud Radio, acrescentando que “se a Dinamarca pedir a solidariedade dos Estados-membros da UE, a França estará lá”.

O ministro francês considera que os Estados Unidos da América (EUA) não vão invadir a ilha ártica que pertence à Dinamarca, que o Presidente norte-americano Donald Trump considera estratégica para o seu país, já que “não é do interesse de ninguém entrar em conflito com a UE”. “Para a Dinamarca, isso (a invasão da Gronelândia pelos Estados Unidos) não se coloca de momento”, disse o chefe da diplomacia francesa, reafirmando que “as fronteiras da Europa são soberanas”, mas que há questões de segurança com o Ártico a ter-se tornado um novo campo de conflito.

Antes de tomar posse, em 20 de janeiro, Donald Trump tinha dito que não excluía o recurso à força militar ou a sanções económicas para anexar a Gronelândia, uma ilha que tencionava comprar à Dinamarca por considerá-la estratégica para a segurança dos EUA.

A primeira-ministra dinamarquesa, Mette Frederiksen, foi hoje recebida pelo presidente francês, Emmanuel Macron, no Palácio do Eliseu em Paris, dois dias após o seu Governo ter anunciado que vai reforçar o seu sistema de defesa do Ártico com navios, drones e satélites.

“A Dinamarca anunciou que vai aumentar a sua presença militar na região em 02 mil milhões de euros, por isso, também a Dinamarca considera que temos de fazer mais para defender o Ártico contra influências ou interferências estrangeiras”, afirmou Jean-Noël Barrot.

O chefe da diplomacia francesa afirmou ainda que os EUA teriam "muito a perder numa guerra comercial” com a UE, como Donald Trump ameaçou durante a campanha eleitoral, já que os EUA investem mais na Europa do que os europeus nos Estados Unidos.

Perante esta realidade, “as empresas americanas seriam as primeiras vítimas” de um confronto comercial entre os dois blocos, segundo o chefe da diplomacia francesa, que pediu que este facto fosse explicado às autoridades de Washington, e que se não for suficiente que “a Europa responderá” às tarifas norte-americanas.

Threat to deploy European TROOPS to Greenland & Danes announce $2b military boost…

 

EU politicians have threatened to deploy European troops to Greenland and refused to negotiate with Trump over his plans to buy the island. Denmark has announced a multi-billion dollar boost to its armed forces in the Arctic after Trump doubled-down on his intention to take the landmass.

The EU has vowed to support Denmark's army, pictured hereCredit: Facebook
Danish Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen speaking to the media. Danish Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen is overseeing a cash dump to beef up the country's Arctic military presenceCredit: Getty
Donald Trump speaking to reporters.

Trump told reporters he thought the US would 'get Greenland' in the Air Force One Map of Arctic trade routes highlighting Greenland's strategic location. This map shows why Greenland would be a valuable asset to the US

General Robert Brieger of Austria, the top EU military official, said it "would make perfect sense" to station EU troops in Greenland. He added: "That would send a strong signal and could contribute to stability in the region." French Foreign Minister Jean-Noël Barrot also said in an interview with France's Sud Radio that France had “started discussing [troop deployment] with Denmark”, but that it was not “Denmark’s wish” to proceed with the idea.

Kaja Kallas, the EU's foreign policy chief, said the bloc was "not negotiating" with the American President, who has said he needs Greenland for security purposes. She added: "Of course we are supporting our member state, Denmark, and its autonomous region, Greenland, but we shouldn't also go into speculation about what-ifs because this is not the situation right now."

The Estonian diplomat struck back after Trump repeated his vow that Greenland would fall under American control. The US President said on Saturday: "I think the people [of Greenland] want to be with us.
"I don't really know what claim Denmark has to it, but it would be a very unfriendly act if they didn't allow that to happen because it's for the protection of the free world.

"I think Greenland we'll get because it has to do with freedom of the world." In response to Trump's renewed warnings that the US will acquire Greenland, Denmark announced on Monday it would splurge over $2billion bolstering its military force in the Arctic.

The nation's Ministry of Defence said the package aims to “improve capabilities for surveillance and maintaining sovereignty in the region". The investment will fund three new Arctic naval vessels, two drones with long-range surveillance capabilities and more Arctic basic military training. Troels Lund Poulsen, Denmark’s minister of defence, said: “We must face the fact that there are serious challenges regarding security and defence in the Arctic and North Atlantic.

(Continue
)

Transgender service members sue Trump over his military ban

 


Six transgender members of the military have sued President Trump over his executive order banning trans people from serving.

The suit – filed in Washington, DC, federal court Tuesday by six current service members and two transgender people seeking to enlist – comes a day after Trump signed an order claiming transgender people’s sexuality “conflicts with a soldier’s commitment to an honorable, truthful, and disciplined lifestyle” and hurts military preparedness.

The plaintiffs say the order is unconstitutional and are all seeking an emergency ruling to block it from being enforced so they can continue to pursue military careers.

The Washington Post Caroline Kennedy warns senators of ‘predator’ RFK Jr. in searing letter

 

Caroline Kennedy warned senators Tuesday about Robert F. Kennedy Jr., calling her cousin — now President Donald Trump’s nominee to lead the Department of Health and Human Services — a “predator” whose victims have included family members and the parents of sick children.

In a letter obtained by The Washington Post and sent to lawmakers ahead of Kennedy’s confirmation hearings, the former ambassador to Australia and Japan alleges that her cousin, “addicted to attention and power,” has given hypocritical advice by discouraging parents from vaccinating their children while vaccinating his own children. She alleged that his “crusade against vaccination” has also served to enrich him.

“I have known Bobby my whole life; we grew up together,” Caroline Kennedy wrote. “It’s no surprise that he keeps birds of prey as pets because he himself is a predator.”

A spokeswoman for Robert F. Kennedy Jr. did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Kennedy is scheduled to face the Senate’s Finance Committee on Wednesday and its Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee on Thursday.

Caroline Kennedy goes on to claim in her letter that through “the strength of his personality,” other family members followed Kennedy “down the path of drug addiction.”

“His basement, his garage, his dorm room were the centers of the action where drugs were available, and he enjoyed showing off how he put baby chickens and mice in the blender to feed his hawks. It was often a perverse scene of despair and violence.”

She commended Kennedy for “pulling himself out of illness and disease” but lamented that “siblings and cousins who Bobby encouraged down the path of substance abuse suffered addiction, illness, and death while Bobby has gone on to misrepresent, lie, and cheat his way through life.” 

(Continue)